Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Breakthrough








I love my job. I know I've said that over and over again. I love being around new parents and new members of the human race. I love seeing moms and dad marvel at their kids and each other as they learn how to be parents. I love watching my families grow. I love working in parks, beaches, homes and the studio. But the thing I think I love the most is the exposure to amazing people and organizations I wouldn't otherwise come across.

As you all know I have volunteered for Horizons for Homeless Children for over three years now. It humbles  and inspires me. Through them I was introduced to Breakthrough and was lucky enough to be able to go photograph the kids there yesterday.   Breakthrough is a national organization that launches high-potential, low-income middle school kids on a path towards collage and helps inspire high school and college kids to be teachers. It is run entirely on volunteer and fundraising efforts!

The kids and teachers that get into this program are lucky and they know it. They work so hard, after school and all summer, to get ahead. I witnessed the most extraordinary group of people - kids and teachers- who were dedicated and determined to rise above what ever troubles life has thrown them.

We could all learn from these highly motivated and smart kids that life is what you make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment